Real report Vinicius Jr racist abuse as hate crime
The latest incident of racist abuse towards Real Madrid forward Vinicius Jr has been reported to the Spanish prosecutor’s office as a hate crime, the club says.
Following the match, in which the 22-year-old Brazil international was later sent off for violent conduct, he said “La Liga belongs to racists”.
Real Madrid issued a statement on Monday stating that it “considers that such attacks also constitute a hate crime”.
Spanish prosecutors will now decide whether to pursue a criminal investigation.
“Real Madrid shows its strongest revulsion and condemns the events that took place yesterday against our player Vinicius Junior,” the club said.
“These facts constitute a direct attack on the coexistence model of our social and democratic state of law.”
Vinicius has been the target of racist abuse multiple times this season.
La Liga said in a statement it would investigate and take “appropriate legal action” if a hate crime was identified, calling on people to submit any relevant footage.
BBC Sport understands two fans who racially abused Vinicius have been identified and are expected to be given permanent stadium bans by Valencia.
Vinicius and Tebas Twitter row
Writing on social media after the match, Vinicius said: “The championship that once belonged to Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Cristiano and Messi today belongs to racists.”
He then exchanged messages with La Liga president Javier Tebas.
Writing on Twitter, Tebas said Vinicius twice did not turn up for a meeting to discuss what it “can do in cases of racism”.
“Before you criticise and slander La Liga, you need to inform yourself properly,” Tebas said.
Vinicius criticised the post for targeting him instead of the “racists”, saying he wanted La Liga to take “actions and punishments”.
Tebas then replied: “Neither Spain nor La Liga are racist, it is very unfair to say that.
“This season racist incidents have been reported nine times (eight of them have been for insults against Vinicius). We always identify those responsible and file the complaint with the sanctioning bodies. It doesn’t matter how few they are, we are always relentless.”
The racist abuse that Vinicius has had to deal with this season
- September 2022 – Some Atletico Madrid fans sang racist songs toward Vinicius outside their Wanda Metropolitano stadium before Real Madrid played them in September 2022. Atletico Madrid later condemned “unacceptable” chants by a “minority” of fans
- September 2022 – Some pundits in Spain criticise Vinicius’ goal celebration, in which he dances by corner flag. He responds by saying “the happiness of a black Brazilian in Europe” is behind the criticism
- December 2022 – Vinicius appeared to be subjected to racist abuse at Valladolid while he walked past fans after being substituted. La Liga said it has filed charges relating to the racist abuse of Vinicius to the “relevant judicial, administrative and sporting bodies”
- January 2023 – An effigy of the Real Madrid winger was hung from a bridge near the club’s training ground before a game against Atletico Madrid in the Copa del Rey. Atletico said the incident was “repugnant”
- February 2023 – Mallorca fans were filmed allegedly racially abusing the Brazilian during a game against Real
- March 2023 – La Liga said “intolerable racist behaviour was once again observed against Vinicius” in a game against Barcelona and it had reported the racist insults to the Barcelona Court of Instruction
- May 2023 – Vinicius suffers racist abuse against Valencia