Man, 21, is killed and eight more people are injured in shooting at ‘barbecue gathering’ in Harlem


Man, 21, is killed and eight more people are injured in shooting at barbecue in Harlem

  • Nine people, two women and seven men, were shot in Harlem at around 12.35am
  • A 21-year-old man was taken to Lincoln Hospital but he died from injuries
  • Police believe the group of people were enjoying a barbeque on Sunday night

A 21-year-old man was killed and eight more people were wounded in a shooting while they were enjoying a barbeque in Harlem, police said. 

The victims, two women and seven men aged between 21 and 42, were shot near the intersection of East 139th Street and Fifth Avenue in the early hours of Monday morning.

Officers from the NYPD responded to numerous reports of people shot in the area at about 12.35am, detective Brian McGee said during a news conference.

Paramedics are seen loading a victim onto a stretcher at the scene of the shooting in Harlem

NYPD officers are seen running to the scene of the shooting in the early hours of Monday

NYPD officers are seen running to the scene of the shooting in the early hours of Monday

Investigators have recovered a handgun at the scene of the shooting (pictured)

Investigators have recovered a handgun at the scene of the shooting (pictured) 

Officers are seen examining the scene after a mass shooting in Harlem in the early hours of Monday

Officers are seen examining the scene after a mass shooting in Harlem in the early hours of Monday

New York City Police Commissioner Keechant Sewell said: 'The emboldened individuals responsible for this are exactly who our officers are battling every day to make our city safe'

New York City Police Commissioner Keechant Sewell said: ‘The emboldened individuals responsible for this are exactly who our officers are battling every day to make our city safe’

Upon arrival, officers found five people shot along the footpath under the Madison Avenue Bridge. Those five victims were rushed to area hospitals by paramedics. 

Four of the victims were transported to local hospitals via private means. 

A 21-year-old man was taken to Lincoln Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

McGee said investigators believe the group of people who were shot had been enjoying a barbeque.  

Investigators have recovered a handgun from the scene of the shooting. 

A person is seen being helped by a police officer following the shooting along the footpath under the Madison Avenue Bridge

A person is seen being helped by a police officer following the shooting along the footpath under the Madison Avenue Bridge

A 21-year-old man (not pictured) was taken to Lincoln Hospital where he was pronounced dead

A 21-year-old man (not pictured) was taken to Lincoln Hospital where he was pronounced dead

Emergency personnel are seen at the scene of the shooting in the early hours of Monday

Emergency personnel are seen at the scene of the shooting in the early hours of Monday

A woman is seen being helped off the footpath under the Madison Avenue Bridge

A woman is seen being helped off the footpath under the Madison Avenue Bridge

Officers from the NYPD responded to numerous reports of people shot in the area at about 12.35am, detective Brian McGee said during a news conference

Officers from the NYPD responded to numerous reports of people shot in the area at about 12.35am, detective Brian McGee said during a news conference

New York City Police Commissioner Keechant Sewell said: ‘The emboldened individuals responsible for this are exactly who our officers are battling every day to make our city safe.

‘And whilst we are making headway against violence, we have a lot of work to do.’

The investigation into the shooting is ongoing and detectives are asking anyone with information to contact them at 800-577-TIPS.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.