Man banned from keeping animals after being caught on camera

Estimated read time 2 min read

A Chester man has been banned from keeping animals for five years after being caught on camera beating his pet cat. The shocking incident happened on Charles Street in Chester. Artur Zakowicz, 46, has been prosecuted by the RSPCA after the footage was sent to the charity. 

Zakowicz was seen on CCTV footage taken on March 24 attacking his cat, grabbing him by his skin and slapping him violently six times with his hand while pushing him to the ground, reports CheshireLive.

He then picked up the black and white cat, called Bashik, roughly by the skin on his back before the pet managed to escape.

Zakowicz, of Brook Street, Chester, was tracked down following the night time incident, with the RSPCA and Cheshire Police going to his home on April 16.

When Bashik was examined later that day at RSPCA Greater Manchester Animal Hospital there were no apparent injuries from the attack, but a vet said any soft tissue damage may have healed in the time that had elapsed between the incident and the medical.

Zakowicz pleaded guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to the cat under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 and appeared for sentencing at Chester Magistrates Court on October 14.

In addition to the ban, Zakowicz was also given a 12-month community sentence, under which he must complete 15 rehabilitation activity days and 200 hours of unpaid work.

He was also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £114 and costs of £500.

In a written statement presented to the court, RSPCA inspector Naomi Morris said she was shown CCTV footage of the attack at Blacon Police Station and she went with a police officer to the defendant’s flat.

READ MORE: Putin’s abject failure ends myth of Russia as military superpower

There he admitted carrying out the attack and gave the RSPCA permission to take the animal for a vet check.

The vet’s report stated: “Persisting signs of bruising and soft tissue swelling would not be expected when considering the examination was carried out 23 days after the CCTV incident. No skeletal injuries were detectable radiographically.”

But after viewing the attack, the vet concluded that Bashik would have been “in pain for a period of several hours, possibly longer”.

Bashik is now in the care of the RSPCA and the animal charity is looking to find him a new home.

Source link

You May Also Like

More From Author