In this post, I’ll be reviewing the Becoming a Freelance Writer course by Knowadays. I’ve just finished taking it myself, and within this blog, I’ll share with you a detailed breakdown of the course; what it includes, and my honest thoughts and feelings about it.
Freelance writing is an amazing way to make money from anywhere in the world. I’m a freelance writer and am writing this from a house in Spain with a view of the ocean (not bragging, but it is beautiful!). However, with a lot of would-be writers out there, the competition can be fierce.
If you’re serious about launching your freelance writing career, but don’t have a lot of experience, it might be worth considering investing in a course to set you off.
Note: Knowadays used to be called Proofreading Academy. If you see any online references to Proofreading Academy reviews, it’s effectively the same company.
Read more: I’ve also reviewed Knowadays‘ other courses on Becoming a Proofreader and Becoming an Editor. These are worth checking out too.
Knowadays Freelance Writer Course: Quick Look
Here are a few of the key takeaways to note about the freelance writing course by Knowadays:
- Written materials and practical exercises: Most of the course consists of written materials for you to read in your own time. There are also links to external resources, a series of helpful precedent documents (including outreach emails), and several (unassessed) written exercises for you to put your skills into practice.
- Quizzes to test your understanding: Most modules contain quizzes to help better cement your knowledge and understanding. These aren’t assessed and you can repeat them as many times as you like.
- Final written assessment: Once you’ve completed the course materials, you’ll write and submit a final written assessment. The task is to write a blog post, following a content brief and style guide, so it’s a fairly accurate simulation of a real-life freelance writing job.
- Feedback from tutors: Your final assessment is marked and graded by a Knowadays tutor. The tutor will then give you detailed feedback and offer you the option to discuss your results with them on a call.
- Opportunity to write for Knowadays: If you score 80% or more on the final assessment, you’ll be given the opportunity to write three blogs for the Knowadays content team. This is a great way to start building up a portfolio of your work straight away, especially if you’re just starting out.
- It takes 10–20 hours: The exact time it’ll take you depends on how fast you read, and how long it takes you to do the practice assignments, as well as the final written assignment.
- Course cost: The course usually costs $999. However, right now you can get 25% off by using the promo code “GOATS25”.
- Free trial: Knowadays offers a free trial that gives you access to a small percentage of the course, so you can try it out and see whether the format works for you before parting with any money.
- Learn more: For more information on this course, check out the Knowadays website.
What is Knowadays?
Knowadays, formerly known as Proofreading Academy, is a highly-regarded provider of online courses. Established in 2017, the company has an excellent reputation and an impressive rating of 4.8/5 on Trustpilot.
Knowadays used to be called Proofreading Academy. If you see any references to that company online, it’s effectively the same organization.
As well as Knowadays’ freelance writer’s course, the company additionally offers industry-leading courses on Becoming a Proofreader and Becoming an Editor. I’ve completed both of these courses, and I’d highly recommend them to anyone who’s also considering a career within these fields.
The quality of Knowadays’ course materials is consistently excellent, and they’re all 100% available online.
Who is the Becoming a Freelance Writer Course For?
This course is for anybody who’s seriously considering embarking on a freelance writing career; either as a side hustle or as a full-time job.
The beauty of freelance writing is that you can do it from anywhere in the world. It’s a great option for digital nomads, van lifers, stay-at-home parents, and other remote workers who are interested in starting a freelance writing business. Alternatively, it’s ideal for anyone just looking to make a little extra money online.
Anyone with a passion for writing can be a freelance writer. But it can be competitive, and it’s often hard to make yourself stand out.
Taking the Becoming a Freelance Writer course with Knowadays will help to ensure that you have the knowledge, skills, and strategies to succeed in your freelance writing career.
Check out the testimonials page on Knowadays’ website to get a sense of what previous students think about the company and its courses.
Personal Experience With the Knowadays Writing Course
I thoroughly enjoyed taking the Knowadays freelance writing course. The materials are all presented in an accessible, easy-to-follow format, and they manage to cram a lot of useful information in without being inaccessible or overwhelming.
I like how the course blends theoretical knowledge with practical exercises, to help give you a realistic sense of what it’s realistically like to be a professional freelance writer.
As a freelance writer myself, I feel that the information and scenarios presented in the course are all spot-on and accurately reflect the practical realities and nature of freelance writing.
I like that the modules are structured in easy-to-digest modules to help keep you engaged. This also means you can complete the course in as many sittings as you choose.
My one piece of negative feedback would be about the cost of the course versus how long it takes to complete. It only took me around 10 hours in total to complete the course, so it’s fairly expensive on a per-hour basis.
See below for a more in-depth discussion of the costs of this course and whether it’s worth it.
Taking the Knowadays Freelance Writing Course
In this section of my review of Knowadays’ writing course, I’ll go into more detail about some of the key features of the course. To give you a better sense of what the course involves, I’ll walk you through what’s included and the topics covered.
What’s Included in the Course?
Here’s a summary of the key features of Becoming a Freelance Writer by Knowadays:
- 8 Modules: Each module is well-structured and covers a range of highly relevant topics, such as how to use content briefs, effective research, SEO, client management, and more.
- Templates: Downloadable sample documents and email templates (e.g. outreach for prospective work, responding to advertisements, chasing unpaid invoices, responding to feedback, etc.).
- Quizzes: Unassessed end-of-module quizzes to test your understanding and reinforce your knowledge.
- Final assessment: This takes the form of a simulated real-life freelance writing assignment. You’re given a brief and a style guide, and then have to write and submit a blog post which is assessed by a member of the Knowadays team.
- Detailed feedback: Once your final assessment has been marked and graded, you’ll receive detailed feedback from a Knowadays tutor. You’ll also be offered a 1-on-1 feedback call with the tutor to run through your results in more depth and discuss any issues you may have faced, as well as raise any additional questions you may have.
- Publishing opportunity: The chance for your own writing to be published on Knowadays’ blog (great for building your freelance writing portfolio) if you score 80% or higher on the final written assessment.
Topics Covered in the Freelance Writer Course
This is an overview of the main topics covered in the course. I’ll go into more detail about each of these in the following sections:
- An introduction to freelance writing
- The nature (and perks) of writing as a freelancer
- Challenges faced by freelance writers
- Content writing versus copywriting
- Different writing styles
- Key things to consider when following a brief and style guide
- An introduction to Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- How to write SEO-friendly blog posts
- Managing client relationships
- Practical tips and information on how to find work as a freelance writer
Knowadays Freelance Writing Course Outline
Here’s a breakdown of the course, including what’s covered in each module:
- Module 1 (Introduction): This is a brief overview of the course, how it works, how to access the materials, and other preliminary information.
- Module 2 (Freelance Content Writing): An introduction to freelance content writing.
- What content writers do
- Key differences between content writing and copywriting
- Different types and styles of content
- Module 3 (Preparing for a Content Writing Project): This module is all about understanding what your client wants, including the scope of the project and the nature of the brief.
- How to understand and use content briefs
- Useful research skills
- Understanding your target audience
- Module 4 (Writing Professional Blog Posts and Articles): This is the largest module in the course and provides detailed advice and insights on how to write high-quality blog posts and other articles.
- How to structure blog posts and other articles
- Common blog formats
- Writing persuasively
- Ways to avoid “fluff” when writing
- Working with word counts and other guidelines
- Mastering a specific tone and voice
- Finalizing your content so it’s ready for the client
- Module 5 (Search Engine Optimization): SEO is a huge topic, but this module provides a helpful overview of the key features of SEO that you’re likely to encounter as a freelance writer.
- How to write SEO-friendly content
- Understanding keywords and how to use them effectively
- How to write SEO meta-descriptions and titles
- Module 6 (Case Study – Writing an Article): This is a practical walk-through of a fictional writing project, showing you how freelance writers apply their skills in practice.
- Guides you through all the steps, from receiving the client’s brief to submitting the final draft
- How to prepare for the project
- Writing a first draft, and subsequent edits
- Effective communication with the client
- How to deal with feedback and requested amendments
- Module 7 (Building Your Business): This is a super helpful module and it was my favorite part of the course. It gives you loads of practical tips and advice for how to build up a successful freelance writing business from scratch.
- How to launch your freelance writing career
- Building your brand
- How to find clients
- Deciding how much to charge
- Exhibiting examples of your work through a portfolio or similar
- Other useful professional advice and tips
- Module 8 (The Final Assignment): In the final module, you’ll receive a client brief and a style guide, and then have to write a high-quality blog post, which is to be submitted to Knowadays for assessment. It’s an accurate simulation of a real-life freelance writing job and an excellent way to prepare yourself for the real thing.
- Once completed, you’ll receive detailed feedback, and the opportunity to have a one-on-one feedback call with a Knowadays tutor
- If you get a distinction (i.e. 80% or above) on this final written assessment, you will also be given the opportunity to write three blogs for the Knowadays content team
Cost of the Course
The Knowadays Becoming a Freelance Writer Course currently costs $999. This is a significant investment – there’s no denying it. You can use promo code GOATS25 to receive 25% off the entire price of the course:
$999 $749.25. This definitely makes it easier to swallow!
When you consider that the average freelance writer in the US earns more than $25 per hour – and the more experience you have, the higher a salary you can command – for many people this course will easily pay for itself in the long run (potentially not so long!).
You can pay for the course with a credit or debit card. If you’re a US or UK resident, you can also pay in installments via a payment plan.
It’s worth mentioning that alongside your purchase, you’ll gain lifetime access to all of the course materials. So, you can go back over them as many times as you like.
I think this is especially useful given that the course contains several excellent email templates that you can use in your own business going forward. These email templates include:
- Applying for freelance positions
- Reaching out to reconnect with former clients
- Negotiating pay on a new project
- Negotiating for a pay increase with an existing client
- Sending invoices
- Chasing unpaid invoices
- Asking for reviews and testimonials
- Pushing back on requests for unpaid revisions
Pros and Cons: Knowadays Writer Course
As with anything, there are various pros and cons to taking the Becoming a Freelance Writer course with Knowadays. However, overall, I think it’s an excellent course and the pros far outweigh the cons.
As long as you can swallow the cost, I’d highly recommend this course to any prospective freelance writer. That said, here are a few key pros and cons for you to consider:
Pros of Knowadays Freelance Writing Course
- The course covers a broad range of topics that are highly relevant for anyone considering a freelance writing career
- All of the content is broken up into easy-to-digest modules
- Materials are laid out clearly and are easy to follow
- Quizzes to reinforce your knowledge
- Good blend of theoretical knowledge and practical exercises
- Realistic scenarios and case studies to help you learn how to tackle real-life tasks and problems
- An excellent introduction to Search Engine Optimization (SEO) helps de-mystify this extensive topic
- Lots of practical advice on how to write SEO-friendly blog posts, without requiring any technical SEO expertise
- It’s 100% online so you can complete the course from anywhere in the world, whenever works for you
- Lifetime access to all course materials
- Chance for detailed 1-on-1 feedback with a Knowadays tutor following your final assessment
- If you score 80% or more, you can get your writing published on the Knowadays website, which is an excellent way to help you build up a portfolio of your work
- Lots of useful practical hints and tips to help you find your feet as a freelance writer
- Excellent email templates for you to use in your own business; saving you time and effort
Cons of Knowadays Freelance Writing Course
- The main con of this course is the cost. $999 is a lot of money and is likely to be a barrier for many people. However, as discussed above, successful freelance writers can earn excellent money, so it may well be a worthwhile investment. (You also get 25% off with the GOATS25 promo code)
- The entire course is in the form of written material, which isn’t likely to be a problem for people who learn best through reading, however, it’s not ideal for those who are visual or auditory learners
- It’s a relatively new course so there aren’t a great deal of testimonials and reviews available about it online. I’ve personally completed it though and I thought it was a great course!
Knowadays Freelance Writer Course: FAQs
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about taking the freelance writing course with Knowadays:
Yes, the Knowadays freelance writing class is absolutely legit. It contains lots of useful information and materials that will be invaluable to anybody considering setting out on a freelance writing career.
Yes, Knowadays used to be called Proofreading Academy. It changed its name over a year ago but is still effectively the same company.
The Becoming a Freelance Writer course costs $999. However, you can get 25% off if you take advantage of the “GOATS25” discount code. Click here for details.
The world of freelance writing can be very competitive. Taking a freelance writing course can help to give you an edge over your competitors. Think of it as an investment in your future success as a freelance writer.
Knowadays gives everyone who scores 80% or higher on this course the opportunity to write up to three blog posts for the company’s content creation team. This is a great way to get your work published and featured and is likely to be especially valuable to those starting out without a large (or existing) portfolio of previous work.
Overall, Becoming a Freelance Writer is a truly excellent course. It’s packed full of useful information, practical tips, and actionable advice to help you get your freelance writing career off to the best possible start.
This course will give you a solid foundation for a successful (and potentially lucrative) freelance writing career. Freelance writing is a great thing to do, and if you’ve been considering taking the leap for a while, I strongly recommend going for it – I wish you the best of luck!