New York Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur has downplayed an alleged incident from last week involving wide receiver Elijah Moore.
“I heard there was some sort of blowup,” LaFleur told reporters ahead of Thursday’s practice, according to Ryan Dunleavy of the New York Post. “The only thing I’ll say is that’s 100 percent inaccurate. There was a conversation, obviously. I’m not going to get into the conversation. We’re going to keep that in-house like we should. But there was 100 percent no blowup.”
LaFleur was referring to how SNY’s Connor Hughes reported last Thursday that Moore had an “uncharacteristic outburst” before practice that “surprised teammates and angered coaches” and resulted in a discussion between the receiver, LaFleur and head coach Robert Saleh. Moore was subsequently excused from practice and later requested a trade ahead of this past Sunday’s game at the Denver Broncos.
The 22-year-old didn’t play in the 16-9 victory in Denver that improved the Jets to 5-2 on the season. He’s on track to at least be active against the 3-4 New England Patriots this Sunday.
“It’s good to have him back in the building. I know he’s happy to be back and he’s ready to go,” LaFleur added about Moore on Thursday. “We’re all on the same page with everything. We’re just trying to move forward. We have a tough opponent in New England. I know that’s where his focus is, getting himself prepared. And that’s where my focus is.”
Dunleavy noted that Moore and LaFleur “hugged in front of the cameras at the start of Wednesday’s practice.” Meanwhile, Saleh has said that Moore won’t be moved before Tuesday’s NFL trade deadline.
Moore’s alleged unhappiness stems from his wishes to see more targets on game days. Thus far this season, he’s caught 16 of 29 passes tossed his way for 203 yards and no touchdowns.