6 Tips for Choosing the Best Physician for your Health
The decision to trust someone with your life is definitely not an easy one. An individual does not have the option to decide who their family members are as they are born into it, they can choose other important people in their life such as their partners and go-to doctor. A majority of people scurry to find the best clinics in Dubai only when they become ill or get injured as there is no time to spare in finding a good doctor. This results in the patient being rushed to an emergency room or an OPD where the staffers tend to them based on their symptoms, with no or very little knowledge of the person’s medical history.
This, however, may not always go down well. For instance, a 30-year-old breast cancer patient who undergoes surgery and/or chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy is highly likely to experience early menopause in the course of treatment itself. If this person’s periods resume, later on, it is most likely an indication of metastasis or relapse, where the primary cancer cells have managed to travel to other parts of the body through the blood or the lymph system and formed fresh tumors. Given the menstrual bleeding, it could be the patient’s first instinct to visit a gynecologist. Unaware of the patient’s history, this practitioner may initially fail to identify the actual cause of bleeding, thus delaying timely diagnosis. By the time it occurs to either party that the patient should actually be consulting a cancer specialist, the health condition has perhaps deteriorated and a crucial period of time is lost. Had the patient been consulting a particular specialist throughout her initial diagnosis to surgery and follow-ups, matters could have not worsened to such an extent. Such miscommunication leading to life-threatening situations can be avoided.
Therefore, it is crucial that we have a family doctor or primary doctor to regularly consult about our health to promote early intervention in case of any diagnosis.
Some individuals and families have primary practitioners — geriatrician for elderly persons, pediatrician for children, and internist who routinely keeps a track of chronic conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, obesity, arthritis, lung issues, and heart disease. These doctors are often the first point of contact in case of any uneasiness. This medical professional has a key responsibility in advising the best course of action for their clients.
The thorough knowledge they have of their clients can make a huge difference in the health and wellbeing of the patients. They help patients make medical decisions, which are suitable to their daily routine as well as values. This helps lower the overall health expenses.
A primary doctor helps you and your family get regular health check-ups, examinations and immunizations, which are important to avoid serious illnesses and generally stay fit. The knowledge they possess on your medical history also facilitates the prevention of diseases and identify and understands early symptoms. They also give you the correct specialist referral for your conditions.
Tips for Choosing the Best Physician
If you do not have a primary physician or have moved to a new place and need to find one or even change the one you are currently consulting for everyday health needs, here are six tips to consider:
- Ask around about good practitioners among your relatives, friends, or colleagues. Their recommendation and experience in dealing with the doctors will help you get started. However, it is important to keep in mind that each individual has different requirements. It is not necessary that they are right for you as well. Therefore, there is more groundwork involved.
- Decide what you are looking for in the doctor. Make a list of qualities that matter to you. Whether the doctor’s gender matters to you. Whether you are comfortable to be associated with a doctor who is also giving consultations with your well-wishers.
- Accessibility of the physician is an important factor. Though online consultations are gaining popularity and one can also discuss their health needs over the phone, one needs to visit the doctor to get a clear picture of your health status. Make a list of best clinics Dubai with the help of trustworthy websites. You can start by checking whether the doctor is certified by the Dubai Health Authority or recognized by the Ministry of Health and Prevention. The internet also has a comprehensive list of medical directories and patient testimonials that further support your doctor search.
- Make a list of potential doctors. Keep in mind whether the physician you choose is only for you or for your family members as well; their availability in person and over the phone; their associations with medical care facilities; qualifications, experience; and network.
- Check the certification of the doctors you’ve shortlisted. Try to find out where they got their degrees and specializations from and what certifications they have. Once you further narrow down on the doctor you would like to meet them and ask your own set of questions based on your needs such as how frequently and which method will you be communicating them, would they encourage the involvement of your loved ones in medical decisions, do they encourage popping pills at the very sight of an illness, what are their thoughts on complementary or alternative treatments which are gaining popularity.
- Check the status of your medical insurance. A lot depends on whether you are financially sound to afford such a physician. Having insurance ensures quality medical care, facilitates timely intervention, and lessens the financial burden on you and your loved ones while you can receive proper services. You can further ask about your choice of doctor in some of the best Dubai clinics to be 100 percent sure before locking down on your physician.
To summarize, if you want to lead a healthy life, primary medical care is crucial. Having a trustworthy doctor know your lifestyle and history helps you lead a healthy and carefree life. Routine communications with your primary physician can be lifesaving and also cost-saving.