Freelance writing is one of the best ways to make money remotely, and in this post, I’m going to list the best freelance writing courses available. I’m a freelance writer myself and I absolutely love the flexibility and freedom that this type of work provides me with, especially when compared with “traditional” (i.e. full-time, in-person) jobs.
Given the numerous upsides, a growing number of people (understandably) want to become freelance writers. The competition for good gigs can be fierce. Taking a freelance writing course online is an excellent way to grow your skillset, boost your experience, and make yourself stand out from the crowd.
Freelance writing is one of the best online jobs and can be quite lucrative, so taking a good course is often well worth the investment. But, with so many online writing courses out there, it can be tricky knowing which one to pick.
10 Best Freelance Writing Courses
In this post, I’ll be reviewing some of the best freelance writing courses online today. These courses can all help you land your ideal digital nomad job as a freelance writer — which, take it from me, is one of the best ways to get paid to travel!
To make this post as useful as possible, I’ve covered a range of different price points when choosing the following online courses for freelance writing.
Other factors I’ve considered include customer reviews, comprehensiveness of the course, value for money, and the overall reputation of the provider. Plus, I’ve included the writing course online that I recently completed.
1. Becoming a Freelance Writer
I recently finished taking the Becoming a Freelance Writer course by Knowadays. You can read my full review of the course here. In summary, though, it’s an excellent course full of useful, accessible material.
The course is structured well and is easy to follow. It combines extensive theoretical knowledge with several practical exercises that are all highly realistic and give you a good idea of what it’s actually like to be a professional freelance writer in the real world.
One of my favorite parts of the course is the module covering the practicalities of starting off as a freelance writer. It’s a goldmine of helpful advice and practical hints and tips covering everything from how to market yourself and exhibit your work to how to set rates and chase late-paying clients.
It took me around 10 hours to complete the course, but there’s no time limit on how long you have to get through it. You’ll also gain lifetime access to all of the materials with this program, meaning you’ll be able to go back over them as many times as you like in the future. Use promo code GOATS25 for 25% off the course! Click here to learn more.
The Knowadays Becoming a Freelance Writer course is best suited for beginners looking for a high-quality, comprehensive course to help get them started with their freelance writing careers.
- Extensive written materials, practical exercises, and links to external resources.
- Useful precedent documents, including template emails, that you can use for your own business.
- Unassessed written exercises and quizzes to help reinforce your knowledge and understanding.
- A final written assessment that accurately simulates a real-life freelance writing job.
- Tutors provide detailed feedback on the final assessment and offer one-on-one feedback calls.
- If you score 80% or higher on the final assessment, you get the chance to write up to 3 blog posts for Knowadays’ content team. This is a great way to begin your portfolio of experience.
- The course typically takes 10-20 hours to complete.
- It usually costs $999 but you can take advantage of a 25% discount by using the promo code “GOATS25”.
- There’s a free trial.
- For more information, check out the Knowadays website.
- An introduction to freelance writing.
- What it’s like to write as a freelancer.
- Advantages and drawbacks of freelance writing.
- How to overcome common obstacles and challenges.
- The difference between content writing and copywriting.
- How to follow a brief and use a style guide.
- Using different writing styles.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for freelance writers.
- How to write SEO-friendly blog posts.
- How to find work.
- Client management.
- Other practical tips for setting up your freelance writing career.
The course currently costs $999. However, if you use the promo code GOATS25, you’ll receive 25% off, bringing the cost down to $749.25. It’s one of the best online freelance writing courses available today. Note: there’s also a payment plan available to US and UK residents.
Pros of Becoming a Freelance Writer Course
- Covers a broad range of relevant topics.
- It’s an excellent introduction to the world of freelance writing.
- Lots of practical advice and useful tips.
- The materials are clear and user-friendly.
- A good introduction to SEO.
- A balanced mix of theory and practical exercises.
- Realistic case studies.
- Quizzes to reinforce knowledge.
- Accessible 100% online so that you can take the course in your own time, anywhere in the world.
- Lifetime access to all course materials.
- Opportunity for detailed 1-on-1 feedback with a Knowadays tutor after the final assessment.
- Possibility to have your writing published on Knowadays’ website (great for building a portfolio).
- Ready-to-use email templates to save you time and effort.
Cons of Becoming a Freelance Writer Course
- The course is more expensive than others, which might be a barrier for some people (although the investment may well be worth it).
- The course is made up entirely of written materials, which might not be ideal for visual or auditory learners.
- It’s a relatively new course so there’s only a limited number of testimonials and reviews available online. I personally completed this course, however, and recommend it!
2. The Complete Freelance Writing Course
The Complete Freelance Writing Course is an excellent budget freelance writing course that’s available on Udemy.
It was created by Philippa Davies, a writer and psychologist with 30 years of experience in freelance writing. The course offers a wide range of content to help equip you with the necessary skills and knowledge to set up a career as a professional and successful freelance writer.
This is one of the cheapest freelance writing online courses covered in this post and is specifically aimed at people who have a passion for writing and want to turn it into a freelance career.
This course is great for those who want to take freelance writing classes online but aren’t able to invest in one of the more expensive options available.
- 14 modules mostly consisting of video lessons/lectures.
- 8.5 hours of videos in total.
- Wide range of topics covered.
- Suitable for both beginners and experienced writers.
- You get a certificate of completion.
- Copywriting and blogging.
- The difference between B2B and B2C writing.
- Important habits to adopt.
- General principles of good writing.
- Setting realistic financial goals.
- Networking and setting up a portfolio.
- How to pitch.
- Tips for staying motivated.
The course currently costs $14.99 (down from an original price of $69.99), making it extremely good value for money.
Pros of The Complete Freelance Writing Course
- It’s very cheap (especially with the current discount).
- Covers a comprehensive range of topics.
- It includes practical exercises to test your skills.
- Knowledgeable instructor with 30 years of freelance writing experience.
- Suitable for both beginners and more experienced writers.
- Lifetime access to course materials.
Cons of The Complete Freelance Writing Course
- Limited information is available on certain course topics.
- The majority of the content consists of video lectures, which may not be engaging for some people.
- Some learners may require more personalized guidance.
3. Freelance Writing Essentials
Freelance Writing Essentials by Peak Freelance is a comprehensive course designed to empower novice freelance writers to start and build a successful career in writing.
It’s an excellent option for those looking to grow confidence, create a portfolio, and gain practical knowledge in the freelance writing world. At under $100, this course is another affordable way to equip yourself with the tools and expertise needed to hold your own in the industry.
This course is best suited for beginners looking for a mid-priced course to help them get started on their freelance writing journey.
- In-depth guidance from experienced freelance writers.
- Practical insights into building a freelance writing business.
- Focus on portfolio creation, finding clients, and niche selection.
- The realities of freelance writing (good and bad).
- Establishing a freelance business.
- Selecting a niche.
- Website and portfolio development.
- Legal and accounting considerations.
- Tips for crafting quality content.
- Strategies for finding and pitching to potential clients.
- Project management techniques.
The course is priced at $99 and gives you lifetime access (and access to future updates). This is likely to be a more affordable investment for most people.
Pros of Freelance Writing Essentials
- Great mid-range freelance writing course for beginners.
- Comprehensive coverage of essential topics.
- Plenty of valuable insights and practical advice.
- Materials are available in both text and video formats.
- Step-by-step strategies on how to pitch and acquire new clients.
- Useful suggestions on the different ways to build a portfolio.
- Affordable pricing with lifetime access.
- Access to future updates.
Cons of Freelance Writing Essentials
- Not really suitable for experienced freelance writers.
- It’s a fairly new course so there aren’t as many reviews available as there are for other online freelance writing courses.
4. Write To 1K
Write To 1K is a legitimate freelance writing course created by Elna Cain, an experienced freelance writer and blogger. The course offers aspiring writers a comprehensive and effective pathway to kickstart their freelance writing careers.
This course equips you with the skills and knowledge needed to become a successful freelance writer, even if you don’t have much (or any) prior experience.
This course is best suited for beginners and intermediate freelance writers who are looking to turn their passion for writing into a sustainable source of income.
It’s particularly valuable for those who may lack formal qualifications or experience in freelance writing.
- Seven self-paced modules with over 50 lessons.
- Materials are presented in a mixture of video recordings and written materials.
- Ready-to-use templates (including pitching templates).
- Access to a private Facebook group community for support and networking.
- Lifetime access to course materials.
- Freelance writing fundamentals and skills.
- Essential tools and best practices.
- Setting up a platform/portfolio.
- How to increase your online presence.
- How to build a strong writing portfolio.
- Tips for finding clients through various channels.
- How to manage ongoing client relationships.
- Crafting effective pitches and setting rates.
- Scaling a freelance writing business and diversifying income streams.
The course costs $195. Alternatively, you can opt to pay in 3 monthly installments of $75/month, although this would end up costing $30 more than if you paid the $195 upfront.
This course also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can buy with confidence.
Pros of Write To 1K
- Very comprehensive and well-structured course.
- Lots of practical advice and tips.
- Useful pitching templates.
- Varied format of content.
- The teacher is a highly successful freelance writer.
- Lifetime access for continuous learning.
- Supportive Facebook group community.
- Plenty of genuine, positive testimonials online.
- Money-back guarantee.
Cons of Write To 1K
- The course contains so much content it may be overwhelming for some.
- Getting through all of the materials takes a long time.
5. Freelance Writing 101: Build A Successful Writing Career
Freelance Writing 101: Build A Successful Writing Career is a course by the media entrepreneur Brad Merrill on Skillshare.
It’s another solid choice for aspiring freelance writers just entering their freelance writing careers. It contains a comprehensive bank of knowledge and information that will prove invaluable for aspiring freelance writers.
This course has lots of positive feedback from students (check out all the positive feedback on its Skillshare page). Many students have found it to exceed their expectations, noting that it’s it’s incredibly informative and that each lesson is concise and easy to follow.
This course is best suited for beginners looking to build a successful freelance writing career.
- Comprehensive guidance on starting a freelance writing career.
- Concise and informative lessons.
- Easy-to-follow course structure.
- Understanding the business of freelance writing.
- The importance of choosing a niche.
- Choosing a content format.
- How to reach an audience.
- How to gain experience as a beginner.
- Where to find clients.
- Tips for effective pitching.
- Writing headlines and CTAs.
- Tone and vocabulary.
- Staying productive as a freelance writer.
- How to deal with client feedback.
To access this course, you need to have a Skillshare membership. This is free for the first month, meaning you could effectively take the course for free. A free freelance writing course… what’s not to like?
After the first month, an annual Skillshare subscription costs $168 a year (or around $14 per month) and gives you access to all of the courses on the platform.
Pros of Freelance Writing 101
- Included in a Skillshare membership.
- The free one-month trial offer means new members can take the course for free.
- Comprehensive coverage of essential freelance writing aspects.
- Clear, concise, and informative lessons.
- Great for beginners.
Cons of Freelance Writing 101
- Skillshare membership is an ongoing cost commitment.
- Most of the materials are delivered via video format, which some people might find too passive and not particularly engaging.
- Unlike written materials, you can’t watch videos at your own pace.
6. Earn More Writing
Earn More Writing is an online writing course by the experienced writer and blogger Holly Johnson. It’s a comprehensive program designed to equip you with the skills and knowledge needed to excel in the world of online freelance writing.
One of the most unique things about this course is that it offers different “tiers” of membership (see below), allowing you to pay for the version that best suits your budget and needs.
As the name suggests, this course is best suited for those who want to learn how to secure higher-paying freelance writing jobs to help boost their income in the online content creation industry.
As such, everybody from beginners to experienced writers can benefit from taking this course.
- In-depth modules covering various aspects of freelance writing.
- Practical guidance on setting competitive rates and impressing editors.
- Access to bonus materials, including videos, an insider’s guide, and a list of potential clients.
- Self-paced learning with course materials accessible for a year.
- A 30-day satisfaction guarantee.
- Establishing a captivating personal brand.
- Mastering the art of pitching to clients effectively.
- Optimizing workday productivity and avoiding distractions.
- How to transition from low-income writing to higher earning.
- Finding and retaining ideal clients.
This course has four different “tiers” of membership, with each one granting access to different amounts of material. The standard (cheapest) membership costs $199, while the platinum (most expensive) option costs $599.
Pros of Earn More Writing
- 30-day guarantee.
- Practical, step-by-step advice.
- Implementable strategies for how to earn more money from writing.
- The teacher is an experienced freelance writer.
- The course has been around for a long time and has an excellent reputation.
- A wealth of bonus materials and resources.
- Self-paced learning and a satisfaction guarantee.
Cons of Earn More Writing
- Limited availability – the course only opens periodically to new members.
- Not all materials are included in all memberships.
- The top-tier membership option is quite pricey.
7. Power Writing
The course is all about how to write punchy, effective copy such as cold emails, blog posts, and social media posts (including how to increase the chances of these going viral).
To do this, Puri draws on his own extensive success in using compelling language to drive results and shows you how you can do it too.
This course is ideal for anybody who wants to learn how to make their writing more compelling, persuasive, and effective in achieving whatever result is intended.
- Interactive format to promote “learning by doing”.
- Real-world application through writing prompts, examples, and templates.
- Offers a unique methodology for virality.
- How to write effective cold emails (that get replies).
- How to write content that goes viral.
- Being effective on social media.
- Writing influential blog posts.
- Designing high-conversion landing pages.
- Techniques for confident brand pitching.
- Creating compelling headlines.
- Lessons from Jeff Bezos’ writing style.
- The fundamentals of effective storytelling.
The course costs $950, making it one of the most expensive freelance writing courses mentioned in this post. However, Shaan Puri is an industry-leading expert known for his mastery of the art of persuasion, so it may well be a good investment for some.
Pros of Power Writing
- Taught by one of the most effective copywriters in the business.
- Comprehensive coverage of various writing styles and techniques.
- A practical approach ensures skills aren’t only learned but are also applied.
- Emphasis on active learning, rather than passive consumption.
- Offers a mixture of theoretical knowledge and real-world examples.
- Focus on modern writing techniques relevant to today’s digital age.
- Lots of positive feedback from students.
Cons of Power Writing
- The course might be quite intensive for some.
- The course has a major focus on social media, which may not be appropriate for all students.
- It’s expensive.
8. An Advanced Crash Course in Writing
The Advanced Crash Course in Writing by Peak Freelance is a comprehensive content writing course specifically aimed at more experienced freelance writers who want to take their skills to the next level and master their craft.
The focus is mostly on online writing, and producing content that not only engages readers but also ranks well in search engine results.
This course is best suited for people with existing professional freelance writing experience, including bloggers and copywriters. However, the broader lessons taught are universally applicable and would be beneficial for anyone interested in online writing.
- Comprehensive training tailored for freelancers.
- Video and written materials.
- Template documents.
- Recorded Q&A sessions.
- Various additional bonus resources.
- Overcoming the fear of starting with a blank page.
- How to write engaging introductions and conclusions.
- Efficient research techniques.
- How to get unique quotes from subject matter experts.
- Establishing your own tone of voice.
- Utilizing psychology in copywriting to drive sales.
- An introduction to SEO.
- How to write content that ranks on search engines.
- Working with editors.
- US vs UK English.
The course costs $149, granting students lifetime access. It’s also included in Peak Freelance’s “All Access” membership.
Pros of An Advanced Crash Course in Writing
- An up-to-date guide to freelance writing and digital content marketing.
- Lifetime access to the course material (including any future updates).
- Useful templates and other resources to save you time and help the writing process.
- 14-day money-back guarantee.
Cons of An Advanced Crash Course in Writing
- Assumes a level of experience, so not really suitable for beginners.
9. Freelance and Feature Writing
The Freelance and Feature Writing course, offered by the renowned London School of Journalism (LSJ), is an excellent online course designed to provide a comprehensive introduction to the world of freelance writing.
Since its establishment in 1920, the LSJ has maintained an international reputation for excellence in the field of journalism.
However, this course isn’t just for aspiring journalists. It’s appropriate for anyone interested in writing features for newspapers, magazines, journals, and other publications.
The course is ideally suited for people who looking to carve out a niche and get their writing published in prestigious print and online media.
- A comprehensive course covering a wide range of topics related to freelance writing.
- 12 lessons broken up into 30 exercises.
- Optional additional modules in specialist areas including music and the arts, travel writing, and sports writing.
- Optional tutorials with a tutor (via video conference).
- Strong emphasis on tailoring the course to your own personal experience, skills, and goals.
- Introduction to journalism and the world of print and online media.
- Understanding readers, markets, and professional presentation.
- Defining what constitutes news and the art of newsgathering.
- Exploring feature writing, with a focus on interviews and topical news features.
- Specialized newspaper writing skills spanning various genres.
- Guidelines for producing articles for publication.
- Legal issues, including an understanding of libel, defamation, and copyright.
- Distinguishing between broadcast, online, and print media.
- Practical tips and hints for launching a freelance writing career.
The course costs £365 (about $440) when paid in full. You can also pay in installments, which costs slightly more, with an up-front payment of £100 ($120), followed by four monthly payments of £70 ($85).
The optional video tutorials cost £200 ($245).
Pros of Freelance and Feature Writing
- It’s a prestigious course from a well-known and highly-regarded provider.
- Comprehensive syllabus.
- Customizable course content, meaning you can tailor it to your specific preferences/needs.
- Optional tutorials with a real-life tutor (via video link).
- According to the LSJ, 80% of their students are successful in getting their work published by the time they finish the course.
Cons of Freelance and Feature Writing
- You need to pay extra for the video tutorials and the additional specialist modules.
- Quite expensive, especially with the tutorials and added materials.
- Strong focus on journalistic-style feature writing, which may not be useful for everyone.
10. Enchanting Copywriting
Enchanting Copywriting is a comprehensive and practical course aimed at improving copywriting skills, especially in the context of marketing and sales.
It contains a range of engaging materials to help you master the art of persuasive writing. There’s a strong focus on practical skills that will help you to effectively engage and hold the attention of your reader.
The course is ideal for freelance writers, small business owners, and anyone else who wants to improve their copywriting skills.
- Short video tutorials with transcripts.
- A blend of practical and theoretical advice.
- Activities to evaluate and improve your writing.
- Template documents.
- Worked examples and case studies.
- Templates and checklists to simplify the copywriting process.
- How to write persuasively without compromising your integrity.
- Effective copywriting techniques.
- Crafting attention-grabbing headlines.
- How to engage and hold the attention of your reader.
- Structuring your writing, including effective use of subheadings, bullet points, FAQ sections, etc.
- How to avoid words and phrases that undermine trustworthiness.
The course costs $397. There’s also a payment plan that allows you to pay in six monthly installments of $79.
Pros of Enchanting Copywriting
- Self-paced, so you can go through the course whenever works for you.
- Practical, hands-on approach to learning with real-life examples.
- The course covers a comprehensive range of topics.
- Good for anyone who wants to write more persuasively.
- Lifetime access to the course materials.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
Cons of Enchanting Copywriting
- Fairly expensive.
- Focus on copywriting may not be useful for everyone.
- Requires a significant time investment given the depth of content (which may be a pro or a con depending on how you view it).
Freelance Writing Courses: FAQs
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about online freelance writing courses:
There aren’t any compulsory, formal certifications to become a freelance writer, anybody can do it. However, certain course providers may include a certification upon completion of the course which can help to boost your resume and make you more attractive to prospective clients.
Yes, a freelance writing course can be a great way to hone your craft and build your portfolio. It can also provide you with the confidence and resources needed to launch your own freelancing career.
It’s hard to say exactly how much beginner freelance writers make because this varies greatly based on factors like the location and sector of the client, as well as the nature of the job.
That said, as a very rough ballpark figure, a beginner freelance writer might expect to earn somewhere between $10-$30 per hour (sometimes more or less), depending on the project.
The time it takes to complete freelance writing courses online depends on the type of course you choose. Courses can range from a few hours to a few weeks, depending on the complexity and depth of the material covered. The Becoming a Freelance Writer course with Knowadays took me around 10 hours to complete.
The best way to get freelance writing skills is to put yourself out there and write as much as you can, for as many different clients as possible. Taking a freelance writing course, like one of the courses mentioned in this post, can help a lot.
Some freelance writers get paid extremely well, others less so. The average freelance writer in the US earns over $25 per hour. Generally speaking, the more experience you have, the more you can charge.
As you can see, there are many excellent freelance writing courses out there, for every kind of budget. I hope this post has given you an idea of what’s available and has helped you decide which course may be right for you.
If you’re interested in taking the Knowadays writing course, don’t forget you can get 25% off by using the discount code “GOATS25”. And, once you’ve completed your course, check out Solid Gigs and FlexJobs for writing jobs.